Here’s my August progress report to show how I’m doing in my photography side hustle. I skipped the July report as there wasn’t a lot to say.
TL;DR> Definitely falling behind.
The numbers are as of August 1, 2016.
I have five goals for my photography side hustle in 2016:
- Gross income of $1,200
- Stock photography income of $50/month by end of year
- Net income of $700
- 2 paid work for hire gigs
- Write and publish one eBook
Here we go.
The gross income I’ve received is $543.38. If you look at that as 7/12 of what I need to reach my $1,200 goal, I’m definitely below target.
I did have income from several sources, which was good…
- I sold several images for use in railway training manuals. I was contacted out of the blue for a couple of images, and after some conversation I found a few more photos in my catalogue that they could also use. I’m never quite certain what to charge for images like this. In the past I have been contacted for images and apparently quoted too much, because they disappeared without buying; here I may have priced them too low.
- Big news, I received my first stock photo payment! Shutterstock sales were strong and I received USD $39.14 as my first income from stock photography.
- I sold another eBook and that put me over the threshold to get another payment from Gumroad.
- Redbubble changed their payment terms to eliminate the minimum payment amount, so I received the $1.46 that was sitting in my account. Big money!
Score: FALLING BEHIND
Stock Photography Income
June was my best month ever (USD $23.29), mostly due to Shutterstock, and July was good too at USD $17.91, although Shutterstock really slumped. As I said above, Shutterstock paid me!
iStock income is improving as they review more images.
I submitted a lot more stock photos in this period so I hope that translates into higher income in the months ahead. I was on vacation in July and that resulted in some good stock photos that were accepted.
Score: GETTING BETTER
My net income is continuing to increase. I’m not sure if it will hit my goal of $700 for the year yet.
Score: ON TRACK
Work For Hire Gigs
No luck on the work for hire gigs. I applied for a gig last month and received no reply at all, which was disappointing. I’ll keep at it.
Write and Publish eBook
I’m working hard on my third article to be published. I do think this could be turned into another book, especially since a friend wants to co-write it with me!
I feel that I am definitely falling behind – I am failing at a couple, fair for one, on track for one, and one goal has been achieved.
Steps For The Rest of August
- Update portfolio – I keep saying this, and I need to get on it!
- Submit more stock photos
- Look for paid gigs more aggressively